This article is available in: French
During 2022, the 3DVF team released a lot of videos. We published interviews of directors, studios, artists, innovative companies… As well as previews of upcoming products, reviews, sneak peeks of exhibits (such as, recently, an exhibition in Paris about Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio).
Here are some of our best videos of 2022, in case you missed some of them!
If you like our content, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel: that’s the best way to support us! Most of our content us subtitled and available both in English and French.
Subscribing means you won’t miss our upcoming videos, and it will help boost the channel!
Interviews – directors, producers
- Minions: the Rise of Gru – Meet director Kyle Balda! Artistic choices, story, action sequences, covid-19… You’ll learn how the Illumination team created this new success!
- Puss in Boots 2 – meet director Joel Crawford & Producer Mark Swift!
Minor spoiler from 12’45” until the end of the video: the director and producer discuss an unusual sequence.
- Buzz Lightyear– Angus MacLane (director) and Galyn Susman (producer) tell us about the latest movie from the Toy Story franchise.
- Frankelda’s Book of Spooks : a charming horror & stop-motion series from Mexico! During the Annecy Festival, we sat down with Roy Ambriz (co-director) & Marta Hernaiz (producer). They also told us about about their upcoming feature length stop-motion movie.
Software & hardware
- A short overview of PatchWorld, an impressive tool we discovered at Laval Virtual. It allows you to create music in VR. PatchWorld relies on a no-code approach, with more than 200 blocks that provide various creative options. You can also record loops of their avatar performing in 3D space to become a full band.
The video is in French, but English subtitles are available. The app is now out of beta and available for Meta Quest users.
- Our review of the Revopoint MINI, a low cost structured light 3D scanner. The Revopoint MINI isn’t perfect (texturing capabilities are quite limited) but it’s an interesting product if you want to capture 3D geometry for animation/VFX, heritage, 3D printing, reverse engineering, jewelry design, medical applications.
You can watch the scans from the video on Sketchfab. Some of them are available for download.
- Pixar CTO Steve May told us about the future of RenderMna, USD, how Pixar manages to turn research projects into features ready to be used by RenderMan users.
- At SIGGRAPH 2022, we sat down with Steve Talkowski to ask him about his career: 35 years in the animation & vfx industries! The 80s, the birth of Blue Sky Studios, Softimage, Joe’s Apartment (1996), Alien Resurrection (1997), Ice Age (2002)…
A fascinating mix of anecdotes & stories, and a few tips for younger artists!
- At SIGGRAPH 2022, we sat down with RISE to discuss their adoption of USD as well as their work on Matrix Resurrection, The last Voyage of the Demeter. Apologies for the sound issues: don’t hesitate to turn on subtitles (available in English/French) if needed!
- French animation & digital art school ESMA: meet one of the best animation school in the world! We intervewed several animation studios, the teachers as well as students who told us about their movies.
An exclusive preview of the 2022 short films is included!
- Is USD the key to the Metaverse?
At SIGGRAPH 2022, Marc Petit (VP, Unreal Engine Ecosystem, Epic Games) gave us his vision of the progress made by Unreal Engine since 2017, told us about Epic Games at SIGGRAPH. We then discussed the metaverse: what is it, what are the advantages of the metaverse? Why is USD such a buzzword at SIGGRAPH 2022, and what are the main challenges towards building the metaverse? Last, but not least, we asked Marc Petit what is the key to success when it comes to external growth, to avoid the death of the tools and technologies you’ve just acquired.