This article is available in: French
Foundry just released Mari 5.0, a major update to the well-known high-resolution digital 3D texture painting tool. The improvements focus on USD, artist tools as well as the brush engine.
Here are a few details:
- The brush engine has been updated with new dynamic color controls:
- Bake Points now support Filters, such as Gaussian Blur. In other words, you can now apply filters to the baked data within the NodeGraph, non-destructively. Moreover, the flatenning engine has been improved and bake speeds are reduced by up to 50%.
- One of the goals of this release was to reduce friction between Mari and Katana, thanks to USD. As Foundry explains, “this brings look development and lighting teams closer together, enabling you to develop preview looks, alongside their production look, earlier in your pipeline”.
- Node graph snapping: this feature won’t dramatically change the way artists work but will help them make their networks easier to follow and understand.
- Gradient Procedurals: artists can now create “soft, area driven procedural masks” using gradients. This should help reduce the task of “repainting gradients by hand should a model or UVs change later in production”.
Here is an overview of all these improvements. We should aslo note that Mari’s third party have been upgraded in oder to match the VFX Reference Platform CY2020. For more information, you can check out the official website.