This article is available in: French
In 2019, we interviewed (in French) Nekki Limited about Cascadeur, their upcoming animation software. Two years later and following a closed beta phase, the software is nos available in early access !
If you’re not familiar with Cascadeur yet, it’s an animation software aimed at the videogame and animation industries. Cascadeur uses physics (inertia, rotational forces, etc) to help animators create more realistic movements. This is especially helpful for action sequences, and it doesn’t require you to use expensive techniques such as motion capture. The latest product video will give you a good idea of what can be achieved using Cascadeur:
4 subscription plans are available :
- Basic : free, aimed at individuals or teams with small animation projects. The complete animation toolset is included, but you can only export up to 300 frames and 120 joints. Commercial use is allowed as long as your revenue is inder $100k/year, and you must give credit for using the software.
- Pro : Everything included in Basic + unlimited export, priority support, scene linking tool, unlimited commercial use. Available as perpetual licence with annual plan.
- Business : Everything included in Pro + dedicated chat support, dedicated success manager, influence on feature development priority.
- Enterprise : for companies who need additionnal control and support.
Two things you might want to know:
- Pro and Business subscriptions are 50% off for a limited time.
- “Annual subscribers who decide against an extension after the first year, still can continue to use their installed version as a perpetual license”.
Even though Cascadeur has gained new features during the beta phase, lors of improvements are still on the way, as you can see on the official roadmap. Loop-animation support, Python scripting, advanced custom rigging are on the way. Long-term features will include MacOS support, blendshapes, facial rig.
For more information, you can visit the official website.